Saturday, May 1, 2010

11 - saturday

it's Kentucky Derby day, so obviously I wore THIS ridiculous dress today in honor of the holiday.  I somehow managed to miss the actual race while I was driving home from work. go figure.







I took the night off so I could eat a good dinner, do some yoga, make a killer playlist, and head to sleep early.  for dinner, I stuck to one of my standby recipes, spinach fettuccine with summer vegetables and greek yogurt alfredo sauce.  the recipe comes from Self (I'm on their recipe of the week e-mail list.  usually they're awful, but this one and another, for white bean cassoulet, have made their way into my repertoire):

Ingredients
8 oz spinach fettuccine
1 tbs olive oil
1 medium zucchini, thinly sliced
1 medium yellow squash, thinly sliced
1 small red bell pepper, cored, seeded and sliced
2 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
1/4 cup nonfat, low-sodium chicken broth
1/2 cup nonfat Greek yogurt
1/4 cup fresh basil, chopped
2 tbs Parmesan cheese
1 tbs light cream
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper

Cook pasta as directed on package; drain and set aside.  Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.  Add zucchini, squash, bell pepper and garlic.  Reduce heat to low; cook until pepper begins to soften, 2-3 minutes.  Add broth; cook until all vegetables are tender, 3-4 minutes.  Remove from heat; add pasta, yogurt, basil, cheese, cream, salt and pepper.  Toss and serve immediately.

I skip the cream and the fresh basil, and substitute spinach spaghetti for fettuccine because my grocery store doesn't carry it.  I like this recipe because the ratio of veggies to pasta is substantial (I toss everything in the pasta pot - my biggest skillet is too small for all the veggies!) and because the "cream" sauce is super light.





here's hoping it carries me across the finish line tomorrow.  my goal is to finish in under two hours!

No comments:

Post a Comment