Wednesday, May 19, 2010

29 - wednesday

back at the end of march, we had a several consecutive days of torrential, biblical rain, coming less than a week after a similarly soggy storm that left the ground completely saturated and unable to absorb any of the new rainfall.  so for those few days, rhode island went under water, and president obama declared a state of emergency.  our fema money started arriving this week - construction is now going on all over the place to finally (a month and a half later) start repairing the roads that washed out and the buildings that need to be demolished.  this is the warwick mall. the water came up over the doors.  it has been widely speculated that the damage was so extensive that they'd have to raze the entire complex.  

I still can't get over this picture.  there are literal waves crashing over route 5.  insane.

...but fear not! the mall will live again.  sports authority (which, along with the target, was added on less than a year ago) re-opened earlier this week.  undeterred by last week's nike outlet fail, I went this afternoon to get new sneakers.


they're nike FREE+, designed so that it feels as close to barefoot running as possible.  the sole is not fixed at all in any direction, meaning I could technically fold the shoe in half lengthwise (why I would ever want to is another story).   I'm going to demo them tomorrow morning on the treadmill.  if I hate them, I'll return them, but I was too curious about how they feel to pass them up.

No comments:

Post a Comment