Monday, May 24, 2010

34 - monday



apparently, it's totally passe to ask for a bag these days.  yesterday at REI, after I bought this giant pile of gu, the checkout clerk gave me a sideways look and asked, "you don't want a bag....do you?"  well no, not anymore, now that I feel so judged.  I juggled my purchases (fine, it wasn't actually that much stuff) to the car.

but then tonight, at the grocery store.

I had my big purse with me - it was nearly empty inside, but no one would have ever known had they not taken a peek - and again, post-check-out (2 tubs of yogurt, tube of toothpaste, bottle of ginger-soy sauce, box of tea), the same look and the same question: "um (takes long, deliberate look at large purse), do you want a bag for this?"

so what if I want a bag?

1) the bag's already been made.  I get it that if fewer customers ask for bags, demand goes down and production/supply decreases and the world gets saved.  but every once in a while, so what if I need a bag?  just look at all my reusables, not to mention the fact that I have been eyeing these beauties for months.  I'm into the reusable bag thing.  but sometimes, I forget them at home.

2) if you, dear store clerk, fork over the bag for my purchases, and it's paper, I promise I'll use it to store my recyclables at home until trash day, when said bag will go out to the curb and it, too, will be recycled.

3) alternatively, if you, dear store clerk, fork over the bag for my purchases, and it's plastic, I solemnly promise not to rush out and suffocate any baby wildlife.  I will use it as a trash can liner in my bathroom, or as a lunch tote for an entire week, and then, eventually, it will wind up in the landfill (I know! I'm sorry!).  but it will have served a greater purpose.

end of rant.

how about those sox, eh? good couple of showings from the boys. I just found out tonight that I'm going to see them at fenway v. the royals thursday night.  good times.

oh, and HAPPY 25th BIRTHDAY to t!!  I love you, and wish you were here.  I'm going to make you the best belated birthday dinner and cake ever when you get home.  you handsome quarter-centenarian.

No comments:

Post a Comment