Tuesday, July 6, 2010

77 - tuesday

today was another one of THESE days...

whyyyy, mother nature, why?!

I lived in tanzania for seven months, and the weather was like this every day.  what made it bearable was the constant, cool breeze that blew in off the indian ocean, and the daily afternoon thunderstorm that cooled off the night.  no such luck today on the east coast of the united states, unfortunately.  this has led me to a state of heat delirium, and prompted all sorts of odd behavior, such as:

last night, I slept on the floor on a towel laid over my yoga mat.  I swear it was at least 5 degrees cooler down there than up on my bed. 

and this morning, I ran a pair of socks under the faucet until they were soaked, then threw them in the freezer.  I realize this is something pregnant ladies do, but this can also be something that extremely overheated non-pregnant ladies do, too.  


anyway, the REAL story is that I had a meeting with my practicum team today, and we finally met our research interns!  they're an incredible group of super motived high school kids from all over the city, working on youth civic engagement and community organizing.  


they come from the toughest of the "failing" schools - schools like Hope High and Central - where more than half of their peers are the children of immigrants who don't speak English at home, where nearly a quarter of their high school class will drop out, where one in four kids will move homes at least once during the school year, who daily face gang violence and the incredible, suffocating social expectation that they will fail no matter how hard they try.  what makes these kids awesome is that they ARE trying, and they ARE succeeding.  most significantly, they are using their own success to serve as positive role models for other kids in their schools and citywide.  I'm very excited to be working with this team for the next month.  

No comments:

Post a Comment