Wednesday, July 7, 2010

78 - wednesday

back in 2008, I was working just outside of boston for a big, international public health foundation.  the combination of long work hours with the intensity (and human urgency) of our projects could, at times, be very stressful.  at the stress-relieving suggestion of one of my colleagues, I started practicing bikram yoga 3-4 times a week at the studio near our office in quincy.  it was love at first class.  bikram is practiced in a room heated and humidified between 95-100 degrees, lasts 90 minutes, and consists of 26 poses done twice and bookended by breathing exercises.  the amount of sweat that is produced during this yoga is unrivaled.  I like it because it combines two of my favorite things: intense aerobic exercise, and long, deep stretches.  it's the most complete workout I've ever had.  best of all, when we later moved offices to boston proper, there was another awesome studio just two t stops away.

the bikram pose series

now that I'm through college and no longer working in boston, it's been a struggle to find a studio that's nearby.  there's only one here in rhode island, and the quality of both the instruction and facility pale so much in comparison to the quincy and boston studios that I've honestly only been once.  what I love about the summers here is that the combination of heat and humidity are just right so that I can practice bikram alone, at home, fo' free.  

yoga studio, apartment edition.  
the mirror helps me keep my balance during the standing series - every (real) studio is mirrored on all four walls.  

bow pose is my favorite. 

I hope that by incorporating a more regular yoga practice into my summer routine, I can keep my stress levels lower and be more focused on my classes.

No comments:

Post a Comment