Friday, July 23, 2010

93 - thursday

I signed up for grad school because I'm genuinely interested in what I'm studying.  the same is presumably true of the rest of my cohort.  unfortunately, our summer research practicum demands an intense amount of work in a comically short amount of time, and has made it easy to forget why we're here.  we're young, and life should be fun.

it just so happens to be providence restaurant week ($13 lunch! $30 3-course dinner!).  so, after a long afternoon of coding data and revising memos, my team and I decided to find some food.  good food.  on the cheap.

mere found this handsome doggie outside of loie fuller's

we tried for loie fuller's, a french restaurant in the west end.  when we arrived the dining room was nearly empty and they appeared to have only one woman filling the role of hostess, server, busgirl, and food runner for the entire joint.  we waited twenty minutes to put our names in, and after another ten without being seated, we left.  it's too bad because my parents love this place and I've been meaning to try it.  I'll give them a pass on it being an off night, and try again another time.

we wound up eating at nick's on broadway, which has THE best breakfast ever (ok, second-best to portage bay) but where I'd never been for dinner.  they weren't participating in restaurant week but we still had a reasonably priced meal and lots of gut-busting, stress-smashing laughs.  our research sure is stressful, but maybe being a grad student is fun after all!  

No comments:

Post a Comment