Thursday, July 15, 2010

86 - thursday


I have a blood sugar disorder called reactive hypoglycemia.  it's the scientific opposite of diabetes: whereas diabetics don't make enough insulin to properly convert and store blood sugar, I don't make enough glycogen to release the stored sugar back into my blood when my levels get low.  

"is that why you're always eating almonds?" one of my classmates asked me yesterday and the answer is yes: it's because almonds have a low glycemic index and help to hold my blood sugar in a constant happy place.  better yet, they can even help lower my blood glucose level (bgl) after a meal.  superfood!

I almost aaaalways have a baggie of almonds on me, in case I need a quick bgl pick-me-up.  but yesterday I dropped the ball and had nothing.  I went more than 8 hours between meals, not my usual 3-4.  and then I ate half a pizza - sending my bgl soaring and then into a deep crash that, because of my condition, I couldn't get out of.  this resulted in many late night/early morning hours of talking on the big white porcelain telephone and gagging down teensie sips of water and worst of all, missing class.  I'm frustrated with myself because I know better

almonds, you're my friend! today sucked, and I'll be doing better by myself in the future.  


No comments:

Post a Comment