Tuesday, June 29, 2010

68 - sunday

in case you're wondering what heaven on a plate looks like, here it is.  if you want to know what it tastes like, I suggest you get your butt to seattle and head straight - do not pass go, do not collect $200 - to portage bay cafe.

we promised miriam we'd shop around the neighborhoods for her, to help narrow her apartment search, so today we dragged our slightly-hungover, very tired selves to the university district.   before we could get down to business (finding the law school on uw's MASSIVE campus, finding miriam a home), we needed sustenance.  last time I was in town, I wanted to try portage bay because I'd heard the breakfast was otherworldly.  I was with my mother, however, and she prefers wine to breakfast, so we took the time to tour the vineyards outside of town.  not that I regret that decision one bit, but my curiosity for this restaurant was as strong as ever.  

oh my sweet lord, this is some heavenly stuff.  there must be happy drugs mixed in because it transcends description.  I had three eggs sunnyside-up, three pieces of pepper bacon, homefries, and two massive organic whole wheat pancakes.  none of which sounds that surreal, but believe me, it was.  ordering pancakes, waffles, or french toast earns you a trip to the toppings bar - organic syrup, dried fruit and nuts, fresh peaches, pears, raspberries, blackberries, blueberries, boysenberries, whipped cream.  at one point in the meal, marissa looked up at me across the table and exclaimed that she was physically and uncontrollably shaking because she was so pleased.  now THAT'S a good breakfast.  

No comments:

Post a Comment