Tuesday, June 29, 2010

67 - saturday

MARATHON DAY!

with Marissa outside our hotel - mile 14.8, still smiling!

all smiles because I JUST RAN MY FIRST MARATHON!

I cannot BELIEVE I just ran a marathon!!  the weather could not have been more perfect - 54 degrees at the start, overcast but not humid or windy.  my legs felt great and didn't start to tighten up until around mile 18.  I decided at 19 that the only way I was going to make it was if I switched up the game plan and did some walking.  so, from miles 19-26, I alternated running for one mile, then power-walking for one minute.  I finished in 4:29:02.  about 15 minutes slower than I would have liked, but you won't find me complaining - for a first timer, especially a previously injured one, that time is not too shabby at all :)  

there was a post-race beer garden - I still don't understand the appeal of beer after a long run - but I opted for a banana and a gatorade and returned to the hotel for a looooong, hot shower and a looooong, blissful nap.  

marissa and I headed north to ballard for a celebratory bar crawl, starting with tex mex at one of my favorite restaurants, the matador.  I drank way too many mojitos and margaritas and ate an obscene amount, but hey! I just ran a marathon! anything goes.  


the weather cleared up in the afternoon, giving us this stunningly clear view of mount rainier from the bus

No comments:

Post a Comment