Wednesday, June 30, 2010

71 - wednesday

I think I've caught the bug.


I went for my first post-marathon run tonight, just a quick 2-mile loop around my neighborhood.  I told myself I'd take it slow after the marathon, and ease back into a routine, but damn did I run fast tonight.  sub-8:00 miles.  that's WAY faster than I have run before...ever.

so what was my natural reaction?  I registered for the amica newport marathon on sunday, october 17.  here we go again! I ran the half at this event last fall, and had the greatest time ever training for it because I got to do all my long training runs on the actual course.  it winds along ocean road and up bellevue avenue past all the mansions.  gorgeous.  the late summer/early fall weather made for some awesome runs. then came race morning: 37 degrees, sleet, gale-force winds whipping the rain in our faces and pushing giant waves over the seawall and onto runners on ocean road.  it was AWFUL.  people were running in trashbags; they had to set up a special triage tent at the finish line to treat runners for hypothermia.

worst running weather of all time  

my rationale is that the weather cannot, short of a tornado, be worse than it was last year.  I've got nothing to lose and so much to gain - and I'm excited to have a new running goal now that seattle is behind me.

No comments:

Post a Comment