Saturday, June 19, 2010

farmer's market, part two

what to do when I get home with a haul of yummy ingredients from the farmer's market?  make myself a delicious lunch...obviously.

olive crostini with goat cheese, roasted tomatoes and baby portabellas

two summers ago, I worked for the addiction psychiatry group at the state's adult mental hospital.  one morning my boss came into my office with a loaf of seven stars olive bread, and as I had never had it, she gave me the loaf to try.  the whole loaf!   I am making a one-time, major confession here:  I ate the entire thing before I even left the office.  



since then, it's been love.  for lunch today, I brushed one side of four slices with olive oil, and broiled it oiled-side up.  then I flipped it and spread goat cheese on the non-oiled side and popped it back in the oven for about a minute, or just until the cheese started to melt and brown.  

I cannot get enough of this bread. 

oiled and ready for the broiler.


meanwhile, I pan-roasted some halved cherry tomatoes (because of the density of their seeds/pulp and relatively small amount of watery juice, they pop and their innards take on a really intense flavor) alongside some pre-sliced baby portabellas.  fun fact:  whole baby bellas and pre-sliced ones cost the exact same - they are one of the few foods for which you don't pay a premium for convenience. with pre-sliced you get more for your money because they've already been trimmed and cleaned, and they keep in the fridge just as well as the whole ones.  I used half a pint each of the cherry tomatoes and mushrooms.

cherry tomatoes, halved

perfect summer lunch.  aggressive wine pour.

No comments:

Post a Comment