Monday, May 9, 2011

42 - sunday

happy mother's day.

there are all kinds of mothers out there in the world. there are those who insist on spending the day being pampered by their children. from breakfast in bed to a day at the spa, this category includes my lovely grandmother who tonight refused to even open a bottle of champagne for herself because she is a mother. then there are those who insist in spending their day doing what they want to do. both t's mom and my own fall into this category.

I brought t's mom flowers this afternoon, and found her in the garden, grubbing with t's dad, planting tons of stuff. I know. descriptive, right? I'd love to tell you what they were planting, but seriously, it looked like I arrived just after they finished planting EVERYTHING. we'll be here all night. the takeaway point is: she was in gardening heaven.

and here's how my momma spent the day:


covered in mud, smiling from ear to ear, powerwashing the back patio. what. a. babe.

I made her dinner, of course. after last year's mother's day lamb snafu I learned my lesson about shopping in advance and got the lamb on saturday. holy expensive meat, batman! I was so nervous that I was going to completely under- or over-cook it. the fact that my dad and grandfather get hungry and impatient and keep coming into the kitchen every five minutes to lurk or ask, "are we ever going to eat?" doesn't help any with the nerves.

final verdict?

medium rare, perfectly cooked lamb. served with balsamic-rosemary syrup over roasted new potatoes and rainbow chard.

No comments:

Post a Comment