Friday, May 13, 2011

47 - friday

I have been babysitting for the same two boys for just over nine years now. NINE. it all started the spring of my junior year of high school, when I worked in an uppity, overpriced toy store. in breezes this woman, looking like a supermodel, a squirming toddler balanced on one hip, and the sweetest, most wide-eyed little infant in a car carrier. (if I look that put together when I've got two kids under the age of two, someone come quick with a cocktail and a camera to capture the magic. I'm not kidding.)

she balanced the car carrier on the counter and asked if I could watch the baby for a minute, and I agreed. this is not as neglectful as it sounds. very small toy store + very eager toddler who spied all kinds of awesome stuff that he was certain in his little almost-two-years-old mind that he HAD to have, right now. but as soon as she walked away, the little guy started fussing, so I scooped him up out of his carrier and started pacing behind the counter, bouncing him around. he stopped crying. she looked over at me and I froze. I was certain she was horrified that I had just jacked her baby out of his car carrier. instead, she smiled and said: do you babysit?

so 9+ years later, and these boys feel like my little brothers. my big guy just turned 11 last week (holy. cow.) and the little one will be 9 in july. this family has become a very important part of my life. I have cancelled weekend plans with friends to babysit, because it never feels like a chore. the kids are great (they have never talked back, not once, because I have always been their babysitter. no "take advantage of the new babysitter" tricks here, folks). the parents are great (thanks, mark, for that part-time job during college!). the extra cash is great. yesterday, their mom called to see if I could take the boys to see a movie this afternoon. I agreed.


today, I took four boys to see a 3D superhero movie, and all I could think about the whole time was how long it was taking, how many hours it had been since I left the library, and how many hours of work I had to do when I left. I didn't get home until almost 9pm, having left the library just before 2. in my incredibly busy week of do-or-die deadlines, I wasted seven primetime hours.

this was a mistake. 

I hate that I feel this way, but I do. I am going to bed now, having done no work since 2pm. I am behind schedule and stressed out about it. but I don't want to be filled with resent for how I spent my day, because truthfully, those kids rock my socks. also, hey t! I found your halloween costume this year. please please please! you will make the hottest thor ever. fact. 




No comments:

Post a Comment