Monday, May 16, 2011

50 - monday

yesterday's post left me feeling a little deflated. deciding to pull out of the race after being so excited to run on a course I love = sad face. 24 hours later and it was still the right decision. my body is exhausted and training feels like a chore. my IT band is on the verge of injury and my mcl is thinking about threatening flaring up again. it takes every ounce of motivation I have to drag myself out the door. once I'm out, I'm happy. but if I'm not 100% in the right mental and physical state for racing, I have no business attempting to do so.


BUT!

I made a great discovery today. it involved me procrastinating with my calendar and some potential fall marathon training plans. I figured out that early retirement from my spring race schedule means I have EIGHT full weeks of recovery, rest, and relaxation between now and when my next 16-week training cycle begins. t and I are running the savannah rock n' roll marathon on november 5, which means we don't have to start training until mid-july. that is so far away from now I want to weep tears of joy.

I am celebrating with cross training: yoga, lifting, FINALLY dragging my butt to spinning, pilates, the works. I might even swim. I don't know. I don't know if we'll have enough time.

body, you are going to be so strong and so stretchy!

I held off on cross-training activities going into boston so I could focus on getting quality running workouts done. I cross trained almost exclusively for four weeks while I was injured (almost = I snuck some ill-advised, did-more-damage-than-good runs in there when I was in denial about the seriousness of my injury), so once I was healed, pounding the pavement was priority #1. since I've been in a pseudo-training/active recovery state since then, cross training has stayed off-limits. next training cycle I need to figure out how to integrate strength and cross training with the running, so that injury-prevention is built in.

tonight I am going to my first ever spin class with my mom AND my sister. we might die, but it's going to be hilarious.

bring on the r&r!

first things first, though: conquering THIS bad boy.  remember last week? check it out today!

that, my friends, is what PROGRESS looks like. 

(and even though it's not crossed off, I'm more than halfway done grading those pesky undergrad papers. boom.)

No comments:

Post a Comment