Monday, April 4, 2011

8 - monday

I think I'm addicted to sunshine.  I might be solar-powered.  because when it's gray outside, I have zero energies.  yesterday, in the bright spring sunshine? I felt totally, blissfully alive.  today notsomuch.


now that vacation's over for real, today was back to school and back to the grind.  hard.  it rained and was just generally sad outside all morning, so I avoided my scheduled 5 mile run and stuck with fulfilling some overdue research obligations.  it was mid-afternoon by the time I finally finished what I needed to get through, and I was thinking a nap sounded juuuust about perfect before this evening's dinner colloquium (a friend of mine said to me today that "colloquium" was one of her absolute favorite words.  frankly, I just think it's annoying to spell).  then another friend of mine yelled at me over gchat (ahem, this may or may not be the same friend who chastised me for not making a packing list) to GO TO THE GYM.  and so I went, and had a great little workout: 3 miles on the elliptical (watching "Secrets of a Restaurant Chef" on Food Network, which T knows I just loathe.  I mean, the gesturing! the swooning back and forth! woman, hold still, you are making me nauseous!), followed by 2 miles fartlek on the treadmill (I couldn't handle any more Anne Burrell), and finishing with 4x10 bosu squats holding a 12-lb medicine ball.  like a boss.


I got to cross not one but two things off my to-do list.  (1) do your scheduled run workout like a good girl; (2) find out whether or not you have a personal trainer appointment this week.  


I haven't seen my personal trainer in over two weeks, and for the life of me, I could NOT remember if we actually scheduled Wednesday or if we just talked about maybe scheduling Wednesday and me calling to do so if I felt like pumping iron (ha) this week.  sure enough, he came up to me while I was doing squats (read: trying not to fall off the bosu ball while doing squats) to confirm my appointment.  so that settles that.


what was my first thought after this little conversation? certainly not: "oh good, now I don't have to call tomorrow." no, no.  my first thought was: "oh sh*t.  I DEFINITELY have to carry those suitcases to the basement before I come lift on Wednesday."  because when I lift with my trainer, he makes me work hard.  after my first session last month I couldn't lift my arms for two full days.  it was pathetic. 






after I unpacked from Paris I re-packed my huge suitcase and another giant one with fall-winter clothes and took out my spring-summer clothes.  they've been chilling on my living room floor for a good five days.  those suckers are heaaaavy.  schlepping them down three flights of stairs before my session was arguably the best not-on-my-list thing I've done for myself this week! 

No comments:

Post a Comment