Tuesday, April 26, 2011

30 - tuesday

as far as hellishly long days go, today was not that bad.  in fact, it was full of tiny moments of assorted excellence.

for starters, a successful four mile morning run.  negative splits and really eerie but awesome fog.

then a new frozen yogurt place opened just steps from my department.  this may prove problematic to the fit of my jeans, but as far as I'm concerned, I'm only here for another month so I should probably live it up.  the whole operation is self serve. they have eight (!) flavors of yogurt, from four machines.  each machine can be made into a "twist" - a classic example is the machine dispensing either vanilla bean, dutch chocolate, or chocolate-vanilla twist. so step one is you choose your flavor(s) and dispense as much or as little as you want into your cup. then you hit up the toppings bar, which includes just about every fresh fruit under the sun, cheesecake bites, chocolate candies, crushed up heath bars, cookie dough, the works.  if you can think of it, they probably have it. total cost is determined by weight.


I'm willing to forgive the blatantly misleading advertising ("probiotic treat" and "healthy alternative") - what is healthy about a sugar-yogurt blend topped with sugar? nothing. - because this is some delicious shit.

the froyo made me forget for a brief moment the indoors guilt I felt all day.  it was 80 sunshiney degrees outside, and I spent almost all of it indoors.  save for one major exception: five magical minutes spent recharging under the enormous new blooms of this magnolia tree.


I had four hours of constitutional law tonight, starting at 5, after having already spent 8 hours on campus working and in class. I don't know about you, but that's a lot for me.  I've been trying for two weeks now to eliminate mid-afternoon coffee from my life, with a lot of cranky success, but today it was an absolute necessity. I swung through blue state (home of the world's greatest grilled cheese) and hey, want to hear something amazing? they have these little tokens that customers use to vote for charities.  the blue state on campus donates to forty charities, and there was a press release taped to the counter today announcing proudly that they'd just doled out $250k.  that's an incredible accomplishment and a LOT of money for a tiny coffee shop.  hats off to those guys.

someone else's crappy iphone photo of the awesome charity voting system.  from blue state's yale location. scoff.

three cheers for surviving tuesday! it was long, and I'm completely wiped, but I'm all about finding ways to make the most of days like today. 

No comments:

Post a Comment