Monday, June 6, 2011

71 - monday

today is my last day in the ocean state. I went for a nice run this morning on blackstone boulevard (yes I sat in rush hour traffic just to go for a run), picked up the moving truck, had lunch and walked along the water in newport with my mom, and visited my grandmother in the hospital. my brother moved home from cambridge this evening to start his new job in east greenwich, and so we ended the night with all five of us plus my aunt martha, sitting outside at the picnic table, crushing three pizzas and a bucket of beers. it was a nice way to end my last day here.

this picture is from my run this morning. this statue, the spirit of youth, sits alongside the blackstone boulevard greenway; it is a memorial to constance witherby, a local girl who died as a young teenager in the early 1900's. the inscription on the statue's base is from a poem constance wrote and I often find myself turning it over in my head while I run. I think it's perfect for today.

the wind roars by; I feel it blow,
and know that I am free to go. 

No comments:

Post a Comment