Saturday, June 11, 2011

76 - saturday

buckle your seatbelt because this post is all over the place.

I put my mom on a plane home to new england this evening, after a whirlwind last 24 hours of our epic trip.  it was way too hot last night for cooking at home, but not at all too hot to go out to drink and eat someplace else. sitting outside in (dry) 90-degree heat is surprisingly tolerable, especially when you have a giant margarita in front of you. yum.

 

two cocktails the size of our heads for us, please! we earned it sweating & unpacking!



we slept well* last night, and woke up this morning ready to tackle the backyard. our original plan was to spend all day today in savannah, but my mom told me last night (after we killed that spider. I am still shuddering thinking about it.) that she would feel better about leaving me if she knew my yard was in good shape. the grass needed mowing, the beds needed weeding, and the backyard needed a heavy dose of invasive vine-battling.

and so we did. for two and a half sweaty hours.

discovered during this morning's yard work: t threw our halloween pumpkins in the compost heap, and now we have a pumpkin patch in our backyard. sigh. if you look closely, there also appear to be tomatoes growing in there. I half-joked to him earlier that I might as well just take down the chicken wire and convert the compost heap into a raised bed, since it's already planted and thriving.



the yard looks SO much better. with the exception of one happy healthy grassy section, our backyard is essentially a big dirt lot for right now, because every time t starts to gain steam with planning and planting the air force steals him away again. so inconvenient. the grass back there, by the way, is a huge deal. we have never had intentional, healthy grass in the backyard, but the seed t put down this spring seems to have taken. hooray! I am hopeful that once t comes home and we can actually work on it together, that it will turn out great. I can't wait for my mom to come visit again and for her to see a beautiful, finished backyard. 

when we finished working, we took quick showers and headed to savannah. managed to squeeze in an hour and a half of hurried sightseeing/late lunching before we had to literally RACE like madwomen to make it to the airport on time. five+ hours of driving for an hour and a half of touristing with mama? worth it. great way to conclude our trip. 

on the way home, I was struggling hard with the setting sun. have to wear glasses to drive + sun in the eyes = maximum squinting. I am going to be a wrinkly old lady if I keep that nonsense up. I tried swapping out my nonprescription, $11 at a cvs on the beach in florida sunglasses for my regular ones, but that just meant that I no longer had to squint but I couldn't see anything at all. the compromise?

 
that's right. I drove for over two hours with my cheap sunglasses over my regular glasses. like a gangster. it was not comfortable, but it got the job done.


*an aside that has nothing to do with today's post but everything to do with reassuring you that I will in fact be OK in this new home of mine: I'm happy to report that this morning I flipped the switch to change the direction of the ceiling fan in my bedroom, and things have gotten MUCH better. cool circulating air = able to sleep at night without sweating buckets. win.

No comments:

Post a Comment